The Estes Valley Library (Library) supports the free flow of information and ideas over the Internet. To connect patrons to resources beyond that contained in the Library’s collection, the Library provides Internet access on public computers and via a wireless network for patrons to use with their personal devices. No Library Card is required for access.
Accessing the Internet using any of the Library’s systems constitutes acceptance by the user that he has read and understands the terms as stated in this and all other Library policies that are specified below.
The Library assumes responsibility only for the information that is provided on its home page. The Library is not responsible for information that is provided from other web sites.
1. All users are responsible for obeying state and federal laws.
2. All users are responsible for respecting copyright laws, licensing agreements, assuming responsibility for payment of fees for any fee-based service.
3. Adults have the option of requesting unfiltered access. Start an unfiltered session.
4. Users may not attempt unauthorized access (including hacking) to any computer system. Users may be asked by Library staff at any time to disconnect any personal device the staff member deems a threat to the operation of the computer, the network, the smooth operation of the computer area in general, or the security of the Library or its patrons. Failure to comply constitutes a breach of the Library’s Patron Behavior Policy.
5. Users should be cautious about transmitting sensitive information, including but not limited to credit card numbers, passwords, account information, or social security numbers over the public network.
6. Users should be cautious about providing personal information while using chat rooms, email, instant messaging, discussion groups, newsgroups, game rooms, and all other forms of online communications.
7. The Library does not encrypt data sent or received through our Internet services so the connection should not be considered secure. The Library does secure information submitted for My Library Account functions.
8. Users viewing explicit images in the library will be required by staff to ensure that others cannot view the images. Refusal to do so, when requested by the library staff, constitutes a breach of the Library Patron Behavior Policy.
Loss of Privileges
Patrons who violate “acceptable use” guidelines and/or the Patron Behavior Policy may be banned from the use of the library network. A network ban may be undertaken without prior communication with the patron and may take the form of restricting a specific patron-owned computer from the use of the library’s wireless network. After a ban occurs the patron-computer will be advised electronically at the time of any attempted wireless network logons. Patrons banned from the use of the network may appeal the ban in writing to the library director. The library takes no responsibility for the loss of work or network time that results from a patron’s computer being banned from network use.
Copyright Violation Fees
Patrons who engage in the illegal download of copyrighted materials (see Acceptable Use #2, above) may be required to pay the library for any charges the library incurs due to said violation(s).
The same standards of intellectual freedom, privacy and confidentiality endorsed by the Library for traditional resources apply to electronic media, including Internet use. The Library follows state and federal Law regarding privacy of Library users’ records and information. The Library will not release information on the use of specific Internet resources by patrons except as required by law or as necessary for Library operation.
Each Library Internet service user agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Estes Valley Library, their suppliers and licensors, officers, directors, employees, agents and affiliates from any claim, liability, loss, damage, cost, or expense (including without limitation reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or related to the user’s use of the Library Internet services, any materials downloaded or uploaded intentionally or unintentionally through the service, any actions taken by the user in connection with their use of the service, any violation of any third party’s rights or any violation of law or regulation, or any breach of this agreement. This Section will not be construed to limit or exclude any other claims or remedies that may be asserted under this Agreement or by law.
Library staff cannot provide technical assistance related to the use of patron owned equipment; however, the staff can provide general information for connecting personal devices to the Library wireless network. The Library does not guarantee that a patron’s personal device will work with the Library’s wireless access.
Please refer to the Internet Policy set, Confidentiality of Library Records Policy, and Patron Behavior Policy for more information.
The Estes Valley Library Internet Use Policy was adopted and approved by the Estes Valley Public Library District Board of Trustees on May 12, 1997 and revised on August 21, 2006, January 18, 2010, December 9, 2013 and December 12, 2016.
Sharon Poggenpohl, President Marjorie Hancock, Secretary