As members of the Library profession, we recognize the importance of making known to the general public the ethical principles that guide the work of library staff. Libraries significantly influence or control the selection, organization, preservation, and dissemination of information. In a political system grounded in an informed citizenry, we are members of a profession explicitly committed to intellectual freedom and the freedom of access to information.
- We provide the highest level of service to library users through appropriate and usefully organized resources; equitable service policies; equitable access; and accurate, unbiased, and courteous responses to all requests.
- We uphold the principles of intellectual freedom and resist efforts to censor library resources.
- We protect each library user’s right to privacy and confidentiality with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted, borrowed, acquired or transmitted.
- We recognize and respect intellectual property rights.
- We treat co-workers and other colleagues with respect, fairness and good faith, and advocate conditions of employment that safeguard the rights and welfare of all employees of our library.
- We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users, colleagues, or our library.
- We distinguish between our personal convictions and professional duties and do not allow our personal beliefs to interfere with fair representation of the aims of our library or the provision of access to its information resources.
- We strive for excellence in the profession by maintaining and enhancing our own knowledge and skills, by encouraging the professional development of co-workers, and by fostering the aspirations of potential members of the profession.
Please refer to the Management Policy set for more information.
The Estes Valley Library Code of Professional Ethics is adapted from the American Library Association Code of Ethics. It was adopted and approved by the Estes Valley Public Library District Board of Trustees on March 14, 2005, revised December 12, 2011, reviewed on November 16, 2015 and revised April 16, 2018 and August 16, 2021.
John Krueger, President Pete Johnson, Secretary