The Estes Valley Public Library District (Library) Board of Trustees (Board) has established Standing Committees as authorized by Article VI, Paragraph 1 of the Board Bylaws. To comply with this authorization, the Chairperson of each Standing Committee shall make regular reports to the Board.
A committee is a Library Board committee only if its existence and authorization comes from the Board, regardless of whether Library Board members sit on the committee. The only authorized Board Standing Committees are those which are set forth in this policy and these will continue in existence until this policy is modified to delete their authorization.
This Policy does not address Board Special Committees, which are authorized by Article VI, Paragraph 2 of the Library Bylaws. These Special Committees are authorized by the Board for special limited purposes, and serve only until completion of the assignment.
Board committees have one essential role —to strengthen and support the work of the Board as a whole. Committees do not make decisions. They provide topical recommendations to aid the full Board in making decisions. Board committees are not to interfere with delegation from the Board to the Library Director, or from the Library Director to staff. Accordingly:
- Board committees act as focus groups that concentrate on necessary information and background to bring a recommendation to the board.
- Board committees most commonly assist the Board by undertaking activities not delegated to the Library Director, by preparing policy alternatives and implications for Board deliberation, or by performing specific monitoring functions. Board committees will normally not have direct involvement with current staff operations.
- Board committees may not speak or act for the Board except when formally given such authority for specific and/or time-limited purposes.
- This policy applies to any group formed by Board action, whether or not it is called a committee and regardless of whether the group includes Board members. It does not apply to committees formed under the authority of the Library Director.
- Meetings that include 3 or more Trustees shall be considered public meetings with appropriate notice to the public being required prior to the meeting. Additional requirements for these meetings are noted in the By-laws to ensure compliance with Colorado Open Meeting Laws.
BOARD STANDING COMMITTEES
The authorized Library Board Standing Committees are:
- Government Affairs Committee
- Finance Committee
- Policy Committee
Government Affairs Committee is responsible for advising local, county, state and national government on issues of interest to the Library and bringing these issues to the Board as a whole. The Committee is also responsible for monitoring and reporting legislative changes that affect the Library to the Board. This committee sets the agenda for Board meetings. The Board President is the chair of the Government Affairs Committee.
Finance Committee is responsible for monitoring Library finances, making monthly reports detailing budget deviations and reporting the Library’s financial situation to the Board. The Finance Committee provides assurance that the Library is in compliance with pertinent laws and regulations relating to accounting and financial matters; is operating in accordance with sound business practices; is conducting its affairs ethically; maintains effective controls against employee conflict of interest, errors and fraud; and provides accurate and complete financial disclosure. The Finance Committee reviews and modifies the proposed annual Library Budget as developed by the Library Director and staff. The Committee presents the recommended budget to the Board for final review and approval. It is also the duty of the Finance Committee to oversee the annual Financial Audit. The Board Treasurer is the chair of the Finance Committee.
Policy Committee is responsible for the regular review, modification, deletion or addition of Library policies for consideration and approval by the Board in accordance with Article V of the Bylaws. Each policy is reviewed approximately every three years by the Board to ensure the Library is serving its patrons efficiently, handling complaints effectively and enabling staff to work in a consistent manner. The Board Secretary is the chair of the Policy Committee.
BOARD STANDING COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP
Each Committee member shall be appointed annually by the Board President. After the yearly Board Officer election the newly elected President will make committee assignment recommendations with final approval by the Board. Two Trustees will be appointed to serve on each committee with one designated as the Committee Chair. Committee members can be selected from outside the Board to provide needed or desired expertise and experience. The Library Director will serve as an ex-officio member of each committee.
The Board may remove a Committee member at any time when at least five Trustees vote to remove the member. When a vacancy occurs on any Committee, the President of the Library Board will name a replacement as soon as possible. All Committee assignments will be documented in the Board minutes.
Please refer to the Library Governance Policy set for more information.
The Estes Valley Library Standing Committees of the Board Policy was adopted and approved by the Estes Valley Public Library District Board of Trustees on August 21, 2006, revised December 8, 2008, March 21, 2011 and April 21, 2014, and reviewed on May 15, 2017 and November 16, 2020.
John Krueger, President Bill Gerritz, Secretary