Download the OverDrive app from one of the following:
Open the OverDrive app and follow the prompts to create an OverDrive account and log in.
If you’re under 13, you may have multiple sign-in options. Learn which under-13 option is right for you.
Note: If you’re using a first generation Kindle Fire, skip this step and move on to step 3.
In the OverDrive app, find your library’s OverDrive website. On most Kindle Fires, you can do this by tapping the icon in the top-left corner to open the Home menu, tapping Manage libraries, and then +. On first generation Kindle Fires, tap the Add a library icon (or, if you don’t have this icon, go to Menu > Get Books).
- Tap the star to save your library to your library list.
- Tap your library’s name to start browsing.
Now, choose the image below that looks like the titles on your library’s website.
Sign into your library’s OverDrive website with your library card and borrow a title.
Find borrowed titles on your Checkouts page (under your Account) on your library’s OverDrive website. You can:
- Download/Add EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks directly to the OverDrive app.
Note: If you’re using a first generation Kindle Fire, you’ll need to authorize your device with an Adobe ID to download EPUB eBooks.
- Select Download, then Kindle Book (U.S. only) to complete checkout on Amazon’s website and send the book to your Kindle.
- Add streaming videos to the OverDrive app.
Note: Some streaming video titles (like those from Starz) cannot be played on Kindle Fire and Fire HD tablets.
- Tap Read to open and read OverDrive Read or MediaDo Reader eBooks right in your browser. For the best reading experience, turn off Accelerate page loading.
- Tap Listen now to open and play OverDrive Listen audiobooks in your Silk browser.
Note: OverDrive Listen audiobooks require Fire OS 4.5.4 or newer.
For a video overview of how to get started with your Kindle Fire, check out our help videos.