The Estes Valley Public Library District (Library) may film, photograph, or record Library-sponsored programs or events at its discretion, as is consistent with the policies of other public libraries.
Filming and photography are allowed, as described below, only to the extent that they do not interfere with the mission of the Library or delivery of library services.
Public library facilities and grounds are defined as limited public forums subject to reasonable time, place, and manner restrictions. Sidewalks around the library are traditional public forums, defined as places held in trust of the public to use for free speech and other activities protected by the First Amendment.
The Library is within its rights to limit filming and photography on library property or inside the building when such restrictions serve Library purposes. Foremost is ensuring the right of Library users to acquire knowledge and information freely and confidentially without scrutiny, intimidation, or distraction by others.
Members of the general public and staff are permitted to take photos or recordings in open, public areas of the library for personal, non-commercial use. As a courtesy, patrons (especially those accompanying minors) and staff should be consulted before being photographed or recorded. If a patron or staff member does not wish to be photographed/recorded, they must notify the photographer/videographer to that effect.
Library staff may stop any photography or video recording that appears to interfere with the library’s ability to conduct business, or that compromises public safety or security.
Photographers/videographers are asked to be respectful of other library users and to observe the following:
- Refrain from disturbing others (e.g., flash photography).
- Taking photos/video of specific, copyrighted (or otherwise protected) materials for the purpose of redistribution is not permitted.
- To protect the privacy of library users and staff, photos and video are restricted or prohibited in certain library locations, including but not limited to restrooms, archival materials, and areas reserved for staff use only.
- The use of photographic equipment (i.e. tripods or lighting) is prohibited without prior authorization by the library’s communication specialist or director.
- Members of the media are asked to notify the library’s communication specialist or director in advance or upon entering the library, to alert staff of the intent to photograph or video inside the library.
Please refer to the Group Policy set for more information.
The Estes Valley Library Photography & Video Policy was adopted and approved by the Estes Valley Public Library District Board of Trustees on November 21, 2022.
John Krueger, President Peter Johnson, Secretary