100 Free Books to Every Preschooler
Do you have a preschooler getting ready to enter Kindergarten? You can sign up for a free program and have 4 kid-friendly picture books mailed to your child each week–and soon have a home library of 100 books! Bring delight to a child, while nurturing a daily habit of reading. Sign Up Here
Parents, you’ve got this!
Simple activities like reading aloud and visiting your library will prepare your child for school and life.
Reading aloud to your child for 15 minutes a day feeds the brain with lifetime benefits.
Regular visits to the library and choosing books to take home helps develop a love of books and reading.
Help spread the message of the importance of early literacy. Read the Full Message from Early Literacy Librarian Melanie Kozlowski.
In the Estes Valley, we want our kids to meet their highest potential. However in recent years, only 39% of Estes Valley children arrived at school sustaining or exceeding benchmarks of school readiness. With simple family activities, that number can be dialed up so that ALL of our kids arrive to school ready to learn. Let’s grow readers!
A child who engages in early literacy activities at home is a strong candidate for later success in learning. Check out the many resources below.
In-person storytimes are back, every Thursday, Friday and Saturday at 10:30 AM in the Library’s Hondius Room. Baby Storytimes are Thursday and Friday at 10 AM.
What is storytime? Children ages birth through 6 years and their parents or caregivers come together in a group setting to participate together in activities. Each storytime session features picture books, stories told with flannel boards, puppets, and props as well as music and movement activities to enrich the literacy experience. The purpose of storytime is to help lay the groundwork for language development in a young child’s rapidly growing brain while helping develop an enjoyment of books and reading. Parents are encouraged to actively participate with their children.
Every Thursday and Friday at 10 AM. We read, sing, play, learn and explore through rhymes, songs, bounces in this fun interactive time with your baby ages 0-24 months.
Early Childhood Music Workshop – Watch on our YouTube channel
Join Music Therapist, Nancy Bell as she leads parents and caregivers with children ages birth through 6 years old in a musical experience that includes movement, singing and play with musical instruments. This fun, warm and engaging 30 minutes will inspire, calm and lay the foundation for language and learning.
Welcome New Baby
Parents of babies under one year may come to the Service Desk and receive a Baby Book Bag that includes a board book, rhymes and fingerplays booklet, original lullaby CD by Nancy Bell (local Music Therapist), and early literacy resources all in a handmade book bag. Choose English or Spanish.
You are your child’s first teacher. There isn’t a single pathway to school readiness outside of parent involvement. We’re here to help!
- Weekly storytimes are a fun interactive way to teach children Ready for Kindergarten skills such as words, songs and vocabulary.
- Storybook Explorer Kits are offered monthly. Kits include a book and a learning activity inspired by the story.
- Register for 100 books to come straight to your mailbox. Sign up here
- Make monthly visits to the library to check out books part of your family’s routine. The daily habit of reading aloud is the single most important activity to help your child succeed in school and life.
- Join (EVICS) Estes Valley Investment in Childhood Success for monthly family nights.
Ready for Kindergarten 4 Skills:
- LETTER RECOGNITION: Know UPPER and lower case letters
- BEGINNING LETTER SOUNDS: Match a letter with the first sound in a word…B is for bat
- RHYMING: Create words with l ike ending sounds…cat and hat
- VOCABULARY: Know lots of words = understanding what you read
Ready for Kindergarten Tool Kit:
Colorado’s Reading Tips for Parents
How to Register for Kindergarten
Be Ready for Kindergarten Checklist
Khan Academy Kids Reading App
Early Readers: Unite for Literacy ebooks | Guía para familias lectoras: lecturas para niños de primaria.